Sunday, September 15, 2013

Blog Post #4

Langwitches 1st Graders Create Own Read Along Book
Reading in Langwitches blog about 1st grader who created their own read along book lead me to how podcasting works. It enables the students to learn more and understand what they are reading. Podcasts are useful when a students does not know how to pronounce a word. They can listen to the podcast and then repeat the words. This helps them learn the correct pronunciation. I love how they could use the handout to follow along as they were read to. It's good to have printed copy of what is being read in front of you. Students was able to give there opinions about what they learned. It's amazes me what technology can do for such young students. The most important part is that the students are learning.

Langwitches-Flat Stanley Podcast
After reading and listening to the Flat Stanley podcast by Jim Brown, I thought it was great. The class brainstorms with their teacher and comes up with a storyline for their audio story. I really enjoyed how all the students had a different part to record. As they were telling the story, you could really imagine the story that was being told. They use unique sounds to let you know when they were moving to the next state. The students were reminded that they needed to think about the senses and sound effects in their audio segment. This was very educational for the students as well as the teacher. We have to make education fun for the students and podcasting seems to be the key. I would love to have this method of education for my future students.

The Benefits of Pod casting in the Classroom
After watching Joe Dale's , Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom, I have learned a lot about podcasting. Students were more interested in how it works and the things that they could do. Podcasts enable students to access information anytime they want. Teachers can record their classes and upload it online and upload them as podcasts. This allows students to access previous lectures for reference and clarification on a subject. It encourages students to develop their own podcast, improve their listening skills and enhance learning. They enjoyed making podcasts more then watching them. The sound effects in the podcast made students more alert. I will definitely be using podcasting in my classroom when I become a teacher.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kynyetta,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post. I agree, I learned a lot about Podcasting. It will be a great tool to use in my future classroom. I think podcasting is great to use to help engage students. The only negative thing I found in your blog post is to check your spelling before submitting your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS SHERNAYE FOR COMMENTING. I HAVE WENT BACK AND CORRECTED THE SPELLING ERRORS THAT I FOUND. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was unable to put all of my correction in one comment because there were too many. Part 1 of corrections:

    Let's start with your response to Shernaye:
    "I HAVE WENT BACK AND CORRECTED…" It should be: I have gone back and corrected…

    There are many mistakes you did not correct:

    "Reading the Langwitches 1st grader create own read along book, I love how the pod casting works." Read this sentence out loud. It makes no sense at all. Maybe you meant this: Reading in Langwitches blog about the first graders who created their own read along books led me to understand how podcasting works. How many changes did I make? Why did I make them?

    "It enable the students to learn more and understand what they are reading." enables, not enable

    It also helps that if the students don't know a word it will be said with the pod casting, therefore, the student will know." Read this sentence aloud. It also is hard to understand. Here is how I would say the same thing: Podcasts are useful when a student does not know how to pronounce a word. They can listen to the podcast and then repeat the words. This helps them learn the correct pronunciation.

    "I love how they could use the handout to follow along as they were read too." to, not too

    "It's good to have that visual affect in front of you." effect, not affect. Even then the handout probably should not be called a visual effect. Why not say It's good to have a printed copy of what is being read in front of you."

    "Students was able to give there opinions about what they learned." were, not was

    It's amaze me what technology can be used for such young students." amazes, not amaze. Again, the sentence is awkward. Here is how I would write it: It's amazes me what technology can do for such young students.

    And I have corrected only the first paragraph. You MUST consult someone about your writing! NOW!

    "After reading and listening to Flat Stanley podcast by Jim Brown, it was great." You need the in front of Flat. An even more important point: Why was it "great". You need to tell us. Here is how I would rewrite this sentence: I found the Flat Stanley podcast by Jim Brown to be very useful because …


    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Part 2 of my corrections. I could not get all of them in one comment.

    "I really enjoyed how all the students had a different parts to record." Either you must omit the a before different OR you must change parts to part. It all depends on whether they had one part to record or more than one.

    "As they were telling the story, you could really image the story that was being told." You use the word image. That is not correct. Maybe you meant imagine

    "…fun for the students and pod casting seem to be the key…." podcasting, not pod casting; seems, not seem

    "After watching Joe's Dale , Benefits of Pod casting in the Classroom, I have learned allot about pod casting. " Make Dale possessive (Dale's); remove the space before the comma. Remove the comma. Change allot to a lot. Change pod casting to podcasting (two places).

    "Students was more interested in how it works and the things that they could do." were, not was This sentence does not tell us much.

    "Podcast enable students to access information anytime they want." Podcasts, not podcast

    "Teacher can record their classes and upload it online and creating lessons." Read this sentence out loud. It is awkward. here is how I would revise it: Teachers (not Teacher) can record their classes and upload them as podcasts. I do not know what you were trying to say with "creating lessons".

    They enjoyed making podcast more then watching them." podcasts, not podcast.

    The sound affects of it made them alert and they learn more from each other." effects, not affects This sentence is awkward. Here is how I would rewrite it: The sound effects in the podcast made the students more alert. NOTE: I am not sure I believe this. Maybe you meant The sound effects in the podcast helped keep the interest of the listeners.

    "I will definitely be using pod casting in my classroom when I become a teacher." podcasting, not pod casting.

    Unacceptable. See my separate email.

    ReplyDelete