Saturday, November 23, 2013

Blog Post #14

For this blog post, Dr. Strange assigned us to make our own assignment. I think this was one of the hardest assignment thus far for me. I didn't know where to start but I came across this video on YouTube called Teaching Kids Real Math with Computers by Conrad Wolfrman. Watch the video and summarize it. Do you agree with teaching kids with computers for math? Why or Why not?

Conrad Wolfram

Conrad feels we have a real problem with how we teach math to students. He believes that we should use computers instead of students counting on their hands to solve problems. He ask the question "Why Teach Math?". we should teach math to students for technical jobs, use in everyday life, statistics, counting money, etc. Wolfrman talks about four step he feels is needed.

Step 1: Posing the right questions-which means people ask the wrong questions and in return get the wrong answer
Step 2: Real world----> math formulation- which means take the questions being ask and turn it into math formulation
Step 3: Computation----> which is a mathematics form of approach
Step 4: Math formulation----> real world- which means to turn it back to the real world

If teachers focus more on computation than the students can focus 10 times harder on the posing the right question, math formulation and the real world. Wolfrman believes that it's faster to use computer to compute math problems that students using their hands to do the work. He wants to make math more practical and more conceptual. Students will gain much more knowledge of the concept being taught. They will gain more experiences, greater quality of learning, and really feel it with math being taught using the computers.
I thought this video was good because Conrad explains a lot about how computer can benefit in the classroom teaching math. I agree with using computers for math in the classroom, however, I wouldn't want my students to rely on it. I want them to understand other ways to solve problems. I would incorporate the use of computer and do math assignment on there but for tests will be done by hand. When I was in school we use computer but not a lot with math. My teacher wanted us to understand the concept being taught without the computer doing everything for us. I want students to think critically before making a decision on solving a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment